Janssen Foundation Youth & Youth Sports Fund
Robert H. Janssen
The Janssen Foundation Youth & Youth Sports Fund was established in 2006 through the generosity of the Robert H. Janssen Foundation. Mr. Janssen was a lifelong resident of San Luis Obispo County, and he devoted a considerable amount of energy to youth sports along with other community and youth activities.
Grants are available to local nonprofit organizations providing youth enrichment programs in the City of SLO and adjacent area and/or youth sports programs in San Luis Obispo county. The Janssen Youth & Youth Sport Fund seeks to support programs that enrich the lives of local youth and ideally reflect the Search Institute’s 40 Developmental Assets.
Criteria and Priorities: The Janssen Youth & Youth Sports Fund seeks to primarily support youth sports programs in San Luis Obispo county that provide access to all segments of the community regardless of income level. Secondly, the Fund will support youth enrichment activities in the City of San Luis Obispo and adjacent area, with an emphasis on active participation over educational programming. Janssen grant funds should represent only a portion of the funds required to implement the program, and a preference is to support direct service costs.
Funding and Review Cycle: The San Luis Obispo County Community Foundation Grants Committee will consider grant requests once in 2013. The maximum grant award allowed will be $5,000.
Application Deadline: Monday, June 3rd at 5pm. (application)
2012 Grantee Roster
- American Red Cross, SLO County Chapter - To provide 200 youth from Kindergarten to Junior High School with comprehensive preparedness curricula. $5,000
- Avila Beach Sea Life Center - To support fee waivers for 100 low-income youth to participate in after-school ocean-based science and recreation opportunities. $3,800
- Community Health Centers - To fund a peer to peer Fitness Youth Trainer program designed to improve the quality of health and fitness among local high school students, and create leadership opportunities for 20 youth. $5,000
- North County Aquatics - To provide new equipment for team swimming program. $1,320
- One Cool Earth - To create an outdoor classroom at Flamson Middle School to serve at-risk youth attending Opportunity High School. $5,000
- SLO Children’s Museum - To provide free Sunday admissions for 660 low-income youth to experience museum activities. $3,300
- SLO Symphony - To reach and engage 2,500 fourth grade youth throughout SLO County in the experience of playing a musical instrument from a symphony orchestra. $4,000
- South County Youth Coalition -To support a nature-based outdoor mentoring program coordinated by the Sierra Student Youth Coalition in partnership with Youth in Action for 30 elementary school students. $5,000
- Women’s Shelter Program of SLO - To provide 25 low-income, traumatized child and adolescent victims of domestic violence with the ability to participate in organized sports and physical fitness programs. $5,000
For more information, please contact Janice Fong Wolf, Director of Grants & Programs, at 805-543-2323 x 13.